Saturday, May 29, 2010

Holy Grail of Production

I've been dealing with a "problem" lately that I hope to correct soon, a artistically diverse and versatile show that still has a quick and simple production line. This is the Animation Producer's "Philosopher's stone", the almost impossible quality of any company but for animation, even more rare. Animation is a time consuming and costly medium, once the commitment to a story is done, the ability to change or adapt is almost gone. The other side is having the free nature of creativity in your work (whether it be TV or a full feature) obviously limits the quality of the animation. A good example of great story and free creativity is South Park or Archer, but obviously the "style" they have chosen is very minimal, identifiable but still limited in animations as an art. If the look is more the importance, you either have an amazing story, the money to spend the time on story, or a lack in story all together. I want to find the Holy Grail, the medium, the right amount of animation to be able to express myself and the ability to fluidly write a story and produce it all in little time with little production cost. Right now the best answer is 3-D cel shading with simple character designs (that are reused for the most part) and the most open and fluid amount of story writing. I think that the easiest explanation for now is a Warner Bros, Chuck Jones, short-style production but still having the 2-D animation quality in a 3-D easy production. All of this is not too rigid as to restrict any artistic fluidity.


Being as I have no example of this idea, I'll leave with a facial character test I did for my first Thesis idea; a Mandrill character going through emotion tests...

No comments:

Post a Comment